- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce - choose the one with any of these: Basil, onion, garlic, parmesan... ( use the brand you like the most)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a large heavy skillet. Fry the eggplant rounds until each piece becomes golden brown. Use layers of eggplant, sauce and mozzarella to line the bottom of a 3 quart casserole dish. Top with mozzarella.
- Heat remaining olive oil, and cook onions and garlic until lightly browned and caramelized. Stir in stewed tomatoes, basil, and oregano and simmer 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and tomato paste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the mozzarella cheese in the casserole dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese (the real stuff, please!) on top of sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted.